Chocolate

posted: by: Jennifer M. King, CVT Tags: "Clinic Specials" "News" 

CHOCOLATE, contains caffeine and theobromine, which consumed in large enough amounts can cause gastro-intestinal upset, cardiac, and neurologic problems.  These can include emesis (vomiting), diarrhea, hyperactivity, tremors, polydipsia (excessive drinking) polyuria (excessive urination), hypertension (high blood pressure), and tachycardia (fast heart rate). The toxic amount is based upon the pet’s weight and the type of chocolate consumed.  Bakers chocolate has the highest amount of these compounds.

 

Chocolate is listed as one of the top 20 most common poisons.   

 

Symptoms, aside from empty wrappers and missing chocolate, include: vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, excitement, and excessive thirst.

 

The doctor will do an exam to determine the appropriate course of treatment. This might include inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal, laboratory tests to determine what organs may be affected, control of seizures and cardiac abnormalities, and intravenous fluids.